Giglio is situated in the centre of the Tyrrhenian sea, 11 miles away from the Promontorio dellâ€™Argentario, and keeps inside its 21,21 square kilometres a treasure to be discovered .
Is situated in the centre of the Tyrrhenian sea, 11 miles away from the Promontorio dell’Argentario, and keeps inside its 21,21 square kilometres a treasure to be discovered.
Its mild climate makes the island the ideal place for all season’s holidays. An uncontaminated reality . The crystal emerald sea with its rich in fishes depths is the frame of an area which is for the 90% still wild and which invites the visitors to go on excursions. Giglio’s port is a picturesque docking surrounded by high grounds full of vineyards. In the nearby of the docking of the ferries there are always expert boatmen ready to carry tourists in the near beaches. The bushes of poseidonia seem to emerge from the transparent water and the fishes looking for some food seem touchble as if they were within reach.
But one of the essential privilege of the island is the variety of the coast which is 28 kms. It varies from the granite cliffs to the sandy beaches offering almost always the possibility of bathing in quite waters . Do not forget that the name of Giglio (Lily) doesn’t come from the name of the flower but form the latinization of the Greek word Capra (Goat) that is Aegilium: Island of the Goats (isola delle Capre) Campese the enchanting bay is framed by the stock from one side and by the stately medicea tower from the other side. The tower was built between the end of the XVII and the beginning of eth XVIII century . Once it rouse completely isolated on the cliffs but today it is linked through a small bridge and was used as a defence against the Tunisians during the last barbaric attack on the 18Th November 1799.
The wind blowing from the south and which here arrives at the back makes the bay of Campese the ideal place for people keen on surf and sailing. The subaqueous activities are supported by courses of different levels and by the possibility to hire boats and equippings. While the west exposure makes it the theatre of marvellous sunsets . In short the Giglio is a real treasure to be discovered and the ideal place for people liking a genuine relationship with the nature and the country environment , the sea, the walks, the bird-watching the minerals and the enchanting world.
Municipal, situated center to quota 405 s.l.m., is encircled from imposing walls spaced out from three towers to circular plant and seven to rectangular base. Erected from the Pisani in the XII sec., many times over widened and restored from the Granduchi of Tuscany, it is up to the present almost intact in its inside. The Giglio Castello is in reality fortified living and the access door is a extremely complex structure that is introduced as a avancorpo with numerous it arches that they allowed the shooting intercrossed of one most driven in formation of archers. On the inner facade of the last one of the three doors the coat of arms of the Doctors is the plate in representing marble, that they upgraded the castle destroyed from the saraceni. The imposing wall Medicee were built up on the ruins of the previous pisane of the XI sec. Inside of the village, in the below public square the church, can be still seen the reservior realized to the end of the '700 from the Doctors in order to resolve the water problems. The tightened ways, often sormontate from arch, the balzuoli (external scales in order to approach the advanced plans), Piazza XVIII November on which it dominates the Rocca Aldobrandesca, imposing defensive structure, makes of Giglio Castello an evocative goal, from the only fascination, today one of the medioevali villages more better conserved and originates them in Italy. The Church of Saint Peter Apostle has been constructed in all probability in XV the century and to its inside a remarkable number of reperti can be admired: a capitello corinzio of the II sec. a.C. that it supports the acquasantiera, the two statues of the seven hundred of Saint Mamiliano and Saint Peter, the marble altar of the XV sec., the reliquari of the Pope Urbano I and Urbano VIII, the church furnishingses of Pope Innocenzo XIII, the three burlaps of the Nasini, the Crocifisso of ivory of the XVI sec. attributed to Giambologna, the reliquario of the 1724 containing ulna skillful of Saint Mamiliano and exposed in teca of glass two sabres and d a gun with valuable inlays abandoned from the pirati ones during the last attack of 1799. Today, beyond to numerous botteghe and the characteristic small restaurants, wine cellars are still found where it comes produced and conserved the typical one, amber and sturdy Ansonaco wine, virtue of the isolani producers.
Only port of the island, colorful small and, from the colors of the houses and the sea of an unthinkable beauty for a harbour zone, as well as that the bottom for how much is looked at some very well is limpid, succeeds to conciliate the requirements trades them with those tourists. E' in fact port of call of the two great ferries of the companies Toremar and Maregiglio that connect the island with the cape of the Argentario in an hour also of winter, and tourist port for boats also great dimensions. In the two ramifications, to right and on the left, there are the two alimentary ways Thaon de Revel and Umberto I, rich of negozietti, botteghe handicraft, diving centers, storees, bar and meetings and many inviting restaurants with great platforms on the sea in the open air. Of forehead it leave the Provincial one that door towards the other localities and to the posterior part of the country, where there are numerous colorful alleys with characteristic small houses that are of the small jewels. The port was constructed for before the time from the Roman and remained such for approximately eighteen centuries. Then it was widened in 1796 and the 1979 later on to one exceptional sea storm. On its left the Tower of the Saraceno constructed in 1596 for wanting of Ferdinand of Tuscany with the scope of help is found the families of fishermen to return on the island from which they were you escape because of the frequent raids of saraceni. Remained are in the memory, it was sure the raid lead from Kair to-Din Barbarossa saying that in 1544 deported like slaves seven hundred gigliesi very. Little beyond Caletta of the Saraceno appears, where to water hair they are distinguished well walls them of the cetaria for the breeding of the murene and it leave of the imposing Roman Villa (III sec. d.C.) of the Domizi Enobarbi, whose rests have been in passed in great part situated in the inhabited center. Outside to right from the port, coming from the sea, the cape of the Contagious disease hospital is looked at where the Tower rises that was constructed originally in octagonal shape from Ferdinand II in 1622 and exactly delimited an area used after contagious disease hospital for the periods of epidemics. In the course of the time stat it is destroyed and reconstructed more resumptions until 1842 when she came rieretta in the shape it puts into effect them. Today private summery residence is one.